Followers

Monday, March 14, 2011

post surgery

I am going to start this blog saying Aubrey is my inspiration, she is such a testimony. I have been truly amazed at her strength and termination! She has defeated and tackled this surgery hands down.
Surgery was LONG, so long. My arms ached to hold my daughter. I wanted to brush her hair away from her face and kiss her cheek so bad! I watched the clock..read magazines, used the restroom, texted, facebooked and went to the cafeteria...all that in the first hour! Children's really handles everything so well. Every hour the lead nurse would call me and let me know what part of the surgery they were at. Her vitals were always great~but wow, the minutes felt like years! I was told our surgeon was very meticulous, she was a perfectionist, which honestly made me feel great! The one thing that Dr Yoon had shared with me ahead of time was Aubrey's Cochlea (I didn't get a A in spelling) was not formed all the way~that was the part that would take time, placing the electrodes right in the RIGHT spot. A side note here, NEVER had we been told this...wow, 13 years countless ct's and NO ONE has discovered this? Anyhow, after surgery she came to tell me she got it ~everything was perfect. They had tested the implant and it worked beautifully. 6 long hours, and to hear this I was elated!
Post op was rough, she was a barfy kiddo. Pain wasn't a issue~but queasiness was HORRIBLE! I had a hard time, she really did not want anything to do with me. She was irritated with my signing, if I did something wrong she sure let me know. At one point I had to walk away and fall apart! She NEVER has pushed me away. Always wanted my arms and comforts. I felt helpless, I was so offended, so sad and torn. While I was outside crying I gave myself a reality check. It was NOT me, she just had a pretty big surgery and lots of anesthesia. So that night in the hospital she did well, still fought queasiness, but her highest level of pain was a 4! Yes amazing:) in the morning she still had yet to drink really much, so the doctors told her she was not going to be able to go~~she then decided she had enough and ate a omelet and held it down! Minute by minute she was doing better....By noon nothing had come back up and she was ready to go home...well not really but the Ronald McDonald house!
Today has been a low key day! She didn't have much of a appetite for dinner, but honestly gave it great effort! After her pain meds and night meds she started with the snacks:) and might I add the giggly medicated Aubrey came out! To be honest with you I enjoyed giggling and laughing WITH her! As I look over to her bed now, she has given up and is resting comfortably!
Yes, I will say I was so nervous. No one wants to see their child hurt, or go through surgery! But she has taught me so much with this OnE, I am truly honored to be her mom!!!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful to hear that your daughter came out of surgery well & that everything looks to be going great! I hope activation goes well & look forward to hearing about her progress with the implant :)

    ReplyDelete